New Dog registration application
This application is only for the registration of new dogs (excluding Lifetime Aged Pensioner, farm dog or registered security dog — see note below).
If you are renewing an existing dog registration, please use the Renewal Application.
- This online application form cannot be used for Lifetime Aged Pensioner, farm dog or registered security dog as conditions apply. For these registration types, download the dog registration application form and lodge the completed form in person at Council's Customer Service Centres together with the required documentation.
- Online applications can be made via desktop or laptop devices. Mobile devices (e.g. smartphones, tablets) are not currently supported.
- Each online dog registration application is for one dog only. If you have more than one dog, please make separate applications for each.
- Provided all of the correct information and documentation is supplied, Council will process your application once payment has been received, a registration tag and certificate will be mailed to you.
- If information and /or supporting documentations for fee discount is incorrect, you will be contacted to provide correct information before your registration can be processed.
- To obtain a discount on your dog's registration fees, you must provide proof. Ensure you have the necessary document/s ready to upload before proceeding further.
- For further information on discounts available, please visit fees and charges.
Terms and conditions of Dog Registration
- I hereby apply for registration of the dog described herein and declare that the details are correct to the best of my knowledge.
- I recognise that failure to comply with the Cairns Regional Council Local Laws and/or the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008 may result in the Council taking action against myself.
- I have provided a sufficient enclosure to contain my dog in accordance with the Cairns Regional Council Local Laws. Keeping of dog/s on a lead or runners is not considered a sufficient enclosure. I understand that failure to keep my dogs within the enclosure could result in action being taken against myself.
- I acknowledge my dog/s must be walked on a chain, cord or leash by a person who is physically able to control the dog.
- I acknowledge I am only allowed to have 1 dog if my property is less than 450m2 or 2 dogs if my property is more than 450m2. If I intend to keep additional dogs, I must apply to Council for an Excess Animal Permit.
- I understand that my dogs must wear the registration tag at all times. Should the tag become lost and/or damaged, I must make application with Cairns Regional Council for a replacement tag forthwith.
- I understand that it is a requirement under the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008, that my dog have a permanent identification device (microchip) implanted in it.
- All dogs over the age of twelve (12) weeks must be registered and microchipped.
- Under the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008, if you own an American Pit Bull Terrier or Pit Bull Terrier, Dogo Argentino, Fila Brasilerio (known as Brazilian Mastiff), Japanese Tosa or Perro de Presa Canario (or Presa Canario) you must apply to Council for a permit to keep a Restricted Dog.
Please ensure you have read and understood the Terms and Conditions of the application before proceeding.