Residential Parking Permit Application
- Online applications can be made via desktop or laptop devices. Mobile devices (e.g. smartphones, tablets) are not currently supported.
- Each permit application is for one vehicle only. If you require more than one vehicle permit, please make separate applications for each vehicle.
- Provided all of the correct information and documentation is supplied, Council will process your application and send you a confirmation email with instructions on how to make payment within 2 business days. After payment has been received, the permit will be mailed to you.
- If information and /or supporting documentation is incorrect, you will be contacted to provide correct information. In order for your application to be considered, you will need to attach digital copies of:
- Your current vehicle Certificate of Registration/Renewal Notice, and
- 2 types of Verification of Residency of Premises, e.g. Residential Lease, Driver's Licence, current Rate Notice
- Fees and charges
Please check your eligibility for a Residential Parking Permit:
- Only permanent residents who live in the CBD are eligible.
- Temporary residents who reside in a precinct for less than three months are not eligible.
- Guests of hotels, services apartments, hostels or backpackers are not eligible.
- Boats, caravans, other trailers and heavy vehicles (a bus or truck with a GVM over 4.5 tonnes) are not eligible.
- The number of permits is capped at a maximum of two (2) Residential Parking Permits per residential address per dwelling, less the number of on-site spaces available or which may be reasonably provided at the residence.
Terms and conditions of Residential Parking Permit Application
In Accordance with Cairns Regional Council Local Law No 1 (Administration) 2016
Parking permits are only issued where application meets the eligibility criteria outlined below and are subject to the following conditions:
- The number of residential parking permits allowed for each dwelling is the maximum number of two (2) permits per residential address less the number of on-site spaces available or which may be reasonably provided at the residence. Note: Not all residential properties within the CBD are eligible to participate in the City's resident parking schemes.
- If there is an onsite car space attached to the dwelling, the resident is required to provide the registration certificates for all the vehicles registered at the applicant's address prior to the issue of any resident parking permits.
- Note: The holder of the permit is not guaranteed a parking space within the location specified on the permit.
- Only permanent residents who live in the CBD are eligible to apply for a resident parking permit.
- Applicants must provide copies of at least two of the following documents verifying that they are a resident of the premises:
- Current Residential Lease; Rental Bond Board Receipt; Electoral Roll Card; Current Rate Notice; Pension Card; Dept of Housing Rental Receipt; Drivers Licence; Current Utility Account (Electricity, Water, Gas etc).
- Temporary residents (ie, residents who reside in a precinct for less than three months) are not eligible to apply for parking permits.
- Guests of hotels, serviced apartments, hostels or backpackers are not eligible to participate in the permit parking schemes.
- Note: Owners, resident managers or caretakers who reside in hotels, hostels or backpacker hotels are eligible to apply for a resident parking permit subject to meeting the usual eligibility criteria and having no on-site parking for their vehicle.
- The maximum allocation for a hotel, hostel or a backpacker hotel is two (2) resident parking permits.
- A copy of the current Certificate of Registration/Renewal Notice is to be uploaded with the application.
- A resident parking permit will only be issued to a vehicle registered in the applicant's name and at the applicant's residential address located within the CBD.
- A copy of the current Certificate of Registration/Renewal Notice must be uploaded with the application.
- If the vehicle is a company vehicle usually parked at the applicant's address overnight, a letter from the company, on company stationary and signed by a senior officer of the company stating the applicant has complete private use of the vehicle, must accompany the application.
- Residential parking permits are not available for boats, caravans, other trailers and heavy vehicles (a bus or truck with a GVM over 4.5 tonnes).
- To be valid, permits must be affixed securely to the inside passenger side of the windscreen so that it is clearly visible to a person outside the vehicle. Note: transferable permits for multiple vehicles are not available.
- Parking permits do not provide exemptions for parking zones signposted as, LOADING ZONE, TRUCK ZONE, CONSTRUCTION ZONE, NO STANDING, NO STOPPING, NO PARKING, BUS ZONE, CLEARWAYS, etc.
- The permit holder is personally responsible for all permits issued to them. Parking permits must not be sold, transferred or allocated to another party.
- Misuse of the permit is an Offence. Cairns Regional Council reserves the right to withdraw one or all permits issued. Fraudulent use of parking permits will result in the cancellation of a permit.
- Refunds are not available for a returned resident parking permit.
- Council reserves the right to change conditions as the need arises.
Please ensure you have read and understood the Terms and Conditions of the application before proceeding.